Remote, Irvine CA, or New York City NY
About Pahdo Labs
We are a gaming startup building an Anime-themed massively multiplayer dungeon building RPG game, blending the best qualities of top-notch action games, role-playing games, and game creation tools into one beautiful social experience. We have raised over $17.5M in seed and Series A funding from a16z GPs Andrew Chen, Jon Lai, and James Gwertzman, as well as BoxGroup, Neo, Pear, Zynga founder Mark Pincus, Kevin Hartz, and Cyan Banister.
We are seeing an explosion of interest in Anime in the US: Attack on Titan, Genshin Impact, League of Legends (Battle Academia skins) are early indicators of a greater long-term trend. As Anime fans ourselves, we are incredibly excited to be building a 2.5D multiplayer world with an Anime-inspired theme, where players can make their own islands and games (starting with dungeons!) within a single shared world, and add custom art and stories to their creations.
As a gameplay engineer on the team, your expertise in game design, player psychology and a love for gaming will help drive our vision for the core gameplay loops for our platform. This is a rare opportunity to play a crucial role in helping build a highly ambitious title that is a unique blend of UGC and traditional MMO gameplay. You will build features, modes, and systems that will delight and engage our players, have them come back for more, and if we are successful, be experienced by players for decades. You will work closely with art and engineering to help bring our vision to life.
- Build, test, and release core game features
- Collaborate with our game design and art teams to create prototypes and functional tools
- Architect solutions with other engineers to solve UX, gameplay, and scalability challenges and implement them end-to-end
- Design fun and engaging experiences for our players
- Be willing to frequently iterate on and tune features based off prototypes and player feedback
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- 4+ years of experience in professional game design or engineering roles
- Desire to own key pieces of the product and see the real-world impact of your code
- Ability to wear many hats in an intimate and tight-knit working environment
- Player-focused, scrappy, and innovative
- Passion for Anime
- Experience with...
- MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, MapleStory, Runescape, and Guild Wars
- 2D isometric games like Dofus, Wakfu, Hades, and Tree of Savior
- Content creation games like Minecraft, Terraria, and Roblox
- Action RPGs like Hades, Diablo, Torchlight, and Path of Exile
- Unlimited paid time off with 2-week vacation minimum
- 100% employer-paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for the employee
- Competitive tech industry pay
- Flexible and remote work culture
If interested, please email us at email@example.com with a resume, and links to any portfolios that you can share!