Remote, Irvine CA, or New York City NY
About Pahdo Labs
We are a gaming startup building an Anime-themed massively multiplayer dungeon building RPG game, blending the best qualities of top-notch action games, role-playing games, and game creation tools into one beautiful social experience. We have raised over $17.5M in seed and Series A funding from a16z GPs Andrew Chen, Jon Lai, and James Gwertzman, as well as BoxGroup, Neo, Pear, Zynga founder Mark Pincus, Kevin Hartz, and Cyan Banister.
We are seeing an explosion of interest in Anime in the US: Attack on Titan, Genshin Impact, League of Legends (Battle Academia skins) are early indicators of a greater long-term trend. As Anime fans ourselves, we are incredibly excited to be building a 2.5D multiplayer world with an Anime-inspired theme, where players can make their own islands and games (starting with dungeons!) within a single shared world, and add custom art and stories to their creations.
As a senior game designer on the team, your expertise in game design, player psychology and a love for gaming will help drive our vision for the core gameplay loops for our platform. This is a rare opportunity to play a crucial role in helping build a highly ambitious title that is a unique blend of UGC and traditional MMO gameplay. You will design features, modes, and systems that will delight and engage our players, have them come back for more, and if we are successful, be experienced by players for decades. You will work closely with art and engineering to help bring our vision to life.
- Help own the game design process from ideation through implementation, with high autonomy
- Design, implement, and tune game creation and world-building tools
- Design, implement, and tune character kits that synergize with other characters in a multiplayer experience
- Frequently iterate on features based on prototypes and player feedback
- Collaborate extensively with teammates, take their ideas into account, and drive production on features and assets
- 5+ years of experience in game design, including designing and shipping at least one video game professionally in a lead role
- Knowledge of how player progression systems, economy systems, and content creations systems interact
- Deep understanding of player psychology
- Robust knowledge of massively multiplayer online games and collaborative multiplayer games
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Scrappy, innovative, player-focused, flexible, and a team player
- Gameplay systems design experience
- Passion for Anime
- Experience with collaborative multiplayer games and MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, Lost Ark, MapleStory, Runescape, Overwatch, and Guild Wars
- Experience with content creation games like Minecraft, Terraria, and Roblox
- Experience with Action RPGs and combat-heavy games like Hades, Diablo, Torchlight, Bayonetta, and Path of Exile
- Experience with 2D isometric games like Dofus, Wakfu, Hades, and Tree of Savior
- C# / Unity, Blueprint, or GDScript scripting experience is a plus
- Unlimited paid time off with 2-week vacation minimum
- 100% employer-paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for the employee
- Competitive tech industry pay
- Flexible and remote work culture
If interested, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!