Remote, New York City NY
About Pahdo Labs
We are a gaming startup building an Anime-themed massive multiplayer dungeon building RPG game, blending the best qualities of top-notch sandbox games, role-playing games, and game creation tools into one beautiful social experience. We have raised over $2M in seed funding from BoxGroup, Neo, Pear, a16z GP Andrew Chen, Zynga founder Mark Pincus, Kevin Hartz, and other a16z partners who focus in gaming.
We are seeing an explosion of interest in Anime in the US: Attack on Titan, Genshin Impact, League of Legends (Battle Academia skins) are early indicators of a greater long-term trend. As Anime fans ourselves, we are incredibly excited to be building a 2D multiplayer world with an Anime-inspired theme, where players can make their own islands and games (starting with dungeons!) within a single shared world, and add custom art and stories to their creations.
As the art director for Pahdo Labs, your craftsmanship and eye for design & illustration will help us deliver a wondrous and dream-like social and creative experience for our players.
You'll own the creative direction of the anime-themed world that we are building. You will use your skills to create concept art as well as manage a group of 2D artists to transform these concepts into assets. You’ll set clear goals for your team and ensure smooth execution of those goals for your team and other stakeholders.
- Drive our artistic vision and provide feedback and direction to implement that vision
- As overall art lead on the the core team, you will oversee the quality of the work the whole art team delivers, and set the bar for excellence
- Evaluate, hire, and manage top tier contractors in the US and potentially internationally (South Korea) across many disciplines, i.e, concept art, 3D modeling, animation, 2D assets/UI
- Drive the development of style guides and process guides, and set the bar for industry-leading art
- Finish your mission and tasks with autonomy and being scrappy if necessary
- Demonstrated ability to create high quality concept art and illustrations
- Extreme proficiency in art fundamentals and design principles
- A clear understanding of, and ability to work in, the traditional Manhwa and/or Manga art style
- Growth-minded and motivated towards teaching, enabling, and coaching other illustrators
- Dedicated in finding creative and effective solutions to difficult problems
- A strong communicator and be willing to interface with foreign teams through a translator
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience giving thorough direction and delivering timely, clear feedback to other artists on their craft
- Familiarity with rogue-like games like Hades and Wizard of Legend
- Familiarity with 2D isometric games like Dofus, Wakfu, Hades, and Tree of Savior
- Fluent in Korean and/or Chinese for extra extra brownie points
- Unlimited paid time off with 2-week vacation minimum
- Flexible and remote work culture
- Health insurance
If interested, please email us at email@example.com with a resume, and links to any portfolios that you can share!